The cost of human hair wigs can range from around $30 to $4,000 or more. The answer to the question, “how much are human hair wigs” depends on a few key factors. The main ones are the type of human hair, the quality of the hair, cap construction and the brand. Below, you’ll learn about each of these factors and average costs for different types of human hair wigs.
When you decide to buy a human hair wig, it’s essential to understand the different types available. You’ll also want to explore various buying options such as online retailers or physical stores. Depending on where you get your wig, there can be big differences in price. Also, don’t forget about maintenance costs, as human hair wigs require more care than their synthetic counterparts.
- Human hair wigs offer a natural look and feel, with a wide range of prices to suit different budgets
- The cost of a wig depends on various factors such as type, quality, and brand
- Consider purchasing and maintenance costs when making an informed decision on the right wig for you
How Much Are Human Hair Wigs?
Range of Prices for Human Hair Wigs
There’s a huge range in the cost of human hair wigs. The cost typically ranges between $100 to $5,000 or more. For a good quality wig, figure on paying somewhere between $500 and $2,000. Several factors contribute to the price difference, including the type of wig, hair quality, and construction method.
- Basic Human Hair Wigs: You can find good quality basic wigs starting from as low as $100 or so. These wigs are often machine-made and do not have advanced features like lace fronts or hand-tied caps.
- Lace Front Wigs: These wigs feature a lace mesh at the front that blends seamlessly with your natural hairline, giving you a more realistic look. Lace front wigs cost between $99 – $399, depending on hair quality and the skill involved in crafting the wig.
- Full Lace Wigs: Full lace wigs have a completely hand-tied cap with lace all around, allowing for versatile styling and the most natural appearance. These wigs usually range from $400 – $2,000.
- Luxury Human Hair Wigs: On the high end of things a top-quality luxury human hair wig can cost $5,000 or more. These wigs are made from the highest quality hair and often come with advanced features like custom-made caps, 100% hand-tied construction, and specialty hair treatments.
Keep in mind that the price correlates with the wig’s quality. A more expensive wig is likely to offer better hair quality, a more natural look, and added comfort. However, even budget-friendly options can be stylish and suitable for your needs. The key is to balance your budget with the desired features and quality of the wig when making your purchase decision.
Factors Affecting How Much Human Hair Wigs Cost
Let’s jump right in and look at the main factors that affect how much a human hair wig will cost you.
The length of a wig contributes significantly to its cost. Generally, longer wigs are more expensive due to the additional human hair required in their production. As you consider different wig lengths, keep in mind that longer wigs may be more difficult to maintain and could be heavier to wear.
Wig density refers to the amount of hair on the wig cap, which affects both the wig’s appearance and price. Higher-density wigs have more hair strands, giving a fuller look and typically costing more than lower-density options. Factors to consider when choosing wig density include personal preference, styling ease, and budget.
Wig cap construction plays a crucial role in both the comfort and cost of a human hair wig:
- Lace front: These wigs have a lace front for a natural-looking hairline, and they tend to be more affordable than other cap constructions.
- Full lace: Full lace caps offer the most natural appearance and versatility in styling, but they are also more expensive due to the intricate, hand-tied construction process.
- Monofilament: Monofilament wigs have a section of the cap made with a thin, breathable mesh material, allowing for a more natural scalp appearance. They can be priced in the middle to upper range depending on additional features.
In general, the more features a wig cap has, the higher the price.
As with many products, brand reputation and quality can significantly impact the price of a human hair wig. High-quality brands typically offer a better selection of styles, colors, and cap construction options, which can influence the final cost of your wig. You’ll want to do your research to make sure you pick a brand that makes a reliable, high-quality product.
Cost of Different Human Hair Wig Types
Remy Hair wigs are created using human hair with the cuticles intact and aligned in the same direction. This ensures minimal tangling and provides a natural look. Remy wigs can range anywhere from $200 to $1,500. When purchasing a Remy hair wig, consider the following factors:
- Hair origin (e.g., Brazilian, Peruvian, Indian)
- Hair texture (e.g., straight, curly, wavy)
- cap construction (e.g., lace front, full lace)
Virgin Hair wigs are made from hair that has never been chemically processed or dyed. This results in a more durable, high-quality wig with a natural appearance. Prices for virgin hair wigs average between $300 and $2,500. Factors affecting the cost of virgin hair wigs include:
- Hair origin (e.g., European, Russian, Malaysian)
- Wig length (e.g., short, medium, long)
- Cap type (e.g., lace front, full lace)
- Hair density
Non-Remy Hair wigs are made from hair that has been collected from various sources and may have mixed cuticle directions. This can lead to tangling and a less natural appearance. Non-Remy hair wigs are more affordable, typically costing between $100 and $800. When shopping for a Non-Remy wig, consider:
- Hair quality (e.g., mixed source, synthetic blend)
- Wig length and density
- Cap construction (e.g., lace front, monofilament)
Raw Human Hair Wigs
Raw Human Hair wigs are made from hair that has been minimally processed, preserving its natural texture. These wigs offer a more unique, authentic appearance and cost between $300 and $3,000. Factors influencing the price of raw human hair wigs include:
- Hair origin (e.g., Vietnamese, Cambodian, Burmese)
- Wig length and density
- Unique hair texture
- Cap construction (e.g., lace front, full lace, silk top)
Budget Human Hair Wigs
Budget Human Hair wigs are an affordable option for those seeking a less expensive yet realistic appearance. These wigs cost between $30 and $399 and often use a mix of lower-quality human hair and synthetic fibers. When selecting a budget human hair wig, take the following aspects into consideration:
- Hair quality (lower-quality human hair, synthetic blend)
- Wig length, density, and style
- Cap construction (e.g., wefted, lace front)
When searching for human hair wigs, there are several avenues to explore. In this section, we will discuss buying options from online retailers, specialized wig stores, and custom wig makers.
Purchasing wigs from online retailers offers convenience and the ability to browse through numerous options at your leisure. Some popular brands and sites to consider include Sam’s Beauty, Outre, and Bobbi Boss.
- Large variety of styles and prices
- Convenient shopping experience
- Competitive prices
- Inability to try on wigs before purchasing
- Limited customer support and consultations
Specialized Wig Stores
Specialized wig stores focus solely on providing wigs and other hair-related products, giving you the advantage of knowledgeable staff and a more personalized shopping experience. These stores often carry both synthetic and human hair wigs, which can range from $50 to $3000 depending on quality and brand. If you have specific needs or concerns, the staff at a specialized wig store can help guide you through the process.
- Expertise in wig selection and fitting
- Ability to try on wigs before purchasing
- Personalized customer service
- Less variety in inventory than online retailers
- May require traveling to a store location
Custom Wig Makers
For a truly individualized experience, you can opt to work with a custom wig maker. These professionals will create a wig to your specifications, factoring in your desired style, length, and texture. The cost of a custom wig varies widely. In addition to other factors, the materials used and level of craftsmanship have a big impact on the cost. It’s super important to research your potential custom wig maker and ensure they have a strong reputation and portfolio before committing to an investment.
- Personalized, one-of-a-kind wig creation
- Ability to participate in the creative process
- Greater control over quality and materials used
- Often more expensive than other options
- May require more time for design and creation
Explore these buying options, consider your preferences, and budget to make the best choice for your human hair wig purchase.
Maintaining your human hair wig is crucial for its lifespan and appearance. Regular care includes washing, conditioning, and styling. Be gentle when combing or brushing your wig to avoid tangling and damage. It’s necessary to invest in proper wig care products such as sulfate-free shampoo, conditioner, and a wide-tooth comb. Depending on how much you wear your wig, you can expect to spend between $20 and $50 on wig care products each month.
Professional Wig Care Services
In addition to regular at-home care, you may want a professional to help you care for your human hair wig. Their services include haircuts, color touch-ups, or repairing any damage to the base of the wig. The average costs for professional wig maintenance can vary depending on the service provider, location, and frequency of appointments. Figure somewhere between $60 and $150 per visit. Keep in mind that this range doesn’t include one-time or specialty services like adding highlights or complex hairstyle adjustments.
Making an Informed Decision
When considering purchasing a human hair wig, you should take into account various factors that affect its cost. This will help you make an informed decision and find a wig within your budget.
First, consider the type of hair used in the wig. Human hair wigs are usually made from European or Asian hair sources, with European hair wigs having a higher price tag. To find a balance between quality and affordability, weigh the importance of the hair type to your personal preferences.
Next, decide between synthetic and human hair wigs. While human hair wigs offer a more natural appearance, synthetic wigs can be more affordable. Both types have their pros and cons, so consider your lifestyle and priorities when making this choice.
Be aware that the price of wigs has been affected by external factors, such as COVID-19, which has led to hair shortages and manufacturing delays. This may cause wig prices to be higher than in the past, so keep this in mind when shopping.
To have a better estimation of the price range, look into wig pricing calculators available online. These tools provide estimates based on factors like length, thickness, and hair color. By using such a calculator, you can understand how much your desired wig might cost and budget accordingly.
Keep in mind that prices for human hair wigs can vary greatly, starting at around $100 and potentially reaching thousands of dollars. By understanding the cost drivers and being aware of the factors influencing wig prices, you can make a confident decision when purchasing a human hair wig that suits your preferences and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are human hair wigs worth it?
Yes, human hair wigs are generally worth it due to their realistic appearance, natural feel, and longevity. They allow for more styling options and flexibility compared to synthetic wigs. Although they are more expensive, the investment can prove worthwhile for those who seek a high-quality solution for hair loss or personal style preferences.
How much do human hair wigs cost in the US?
In the United States, good-quality human wigs cost between $600 and $3,000. That said, you can find human hair wigs as low as $30 or so on some online retail sites. Just remember you get what you pay for so spending a little more upfront may save you more over the long term.
How does the price of human hair wigs compare to synthetic wigs?
Human hair wigs are typically more expensive than synthetic wigs. Synthetic wigs usually run between $100 and $400 for a good quality wig. The price difference between human hair and synthetic wigs is due to the higher quality of materials and more natural appearance and feel of human hair wigs.
Can you wear a human hair wig everyday?
Yes, you can wear a human hair wig every day. In fact, one of the advantages of human hair wigs is their durability and ability to withstand daily wear. However, it is important to properly maintain and care for your human hair wig to ensure its longevity. Regular washing, combing, and styling are essential steps in keeping your wig in the best possible condition.
What are the disadvantages of human hair wigs?
While human hair wigs offer many benefits, they also have some disadvantages. First, they tend to cost more than synthetic wigs. Second, they require more maintenance and care, since the hair must be washed, conditioned, and styled regularly to keep its appearance and prevent tangles. Additionally, human hair wigs are more susceptible to damage from heat and styling, and they may lose their style and shape in humid conditions or after getting wet.